Insights – 23/11/2013
PAPER – IV
Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks: 250
- Each question is printed in English.
- Answers must be written in the medium specified in the Admission Certificate issued to you, which must be stated clearly on the cover of the Question – cum – Answer sheet in the space provided for the purpose.
- No marks will be given for answers written in a medium other than that specified in the Admission Certificate
- Candidates should attempt all the questions strictly in accordance with the instructions given under each section
- The number of marks carried by each question is indicated at the end of each question
- Candidates should write their answers within the pre-defined space provided below each part/sub-part of a question
- There will be penalty for writing outside the space provided for the purpose
- Answers written outside the pre-defined space will not be evaluated
- You are provided a separate Questions Paper in the end to take home for reference purpose.
1) Answer the following questions in about 200 words each: 20X3 = 60
a) “The new food-security and land-acquisition laws underscore the Indian government’s gradual but firm move toward making the world’s largest democracy a society in which citizens’ welfare is based on rights and entitlements rather than ephemeral charity.” Do you agree with the statement? Critically analyze the two laws in the light of the given statement.
b) In your opinion, why has India’s GDP growth slowed so much, from nearly 10% year on year in 2010-11 to 5% today? Was annual growth of almost 8% in the decade from 2002 to 2012 an aberration? Critically examine.
c) The escalation of economic costs will be driven largely by the increasingly frequent and intense weather events associated with higher global temperatures. But inadequate preparation will exacerbate the problem considerably. Assess the importance of proper disaster management and preparedness strategy for India through illustrations.
2) Answer the following questions in about 150 words each: 15X6= 90
a) “The shockwaves triggered by the shale-energy revolution unleashed in the United States are reverberating globally.” Comment.
b) “The Industrial Policy 1980 laid foundations for the future reforms.” Evaluate.
c) “Bangladesh is ground zero for the effects of climate change and the security implications they present.” In the light of the given statement, analyze how Bangladesh might provide a case study to know the negative implications of climate change.
d) “Both historical and more recent trends would seem to suggest that rising (and frustrated) expectations are a far more frequent source of extremism than mere economic deprivation.” Evaluate in the context of India and its neighboring countries.
e) Write a critical note on Golden Rice and the controversy surrounding it.
f) Examine the threats posed by communication networks to the internal security of India.
3) Answer the following in about 100 words each: 10X7=70
a) What is hepB vaccine and Why was it recently in news?
b) “It is a well known fact that terrorist organizations resort beside illegal means to legal means to finance their criminal activities.” Elaborate.
c) How can space agencies such as ISRO address climate change problem? Elucidate
d) Why has the government come up with Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) Bill, 2013 ?Does it have any implication on tourism? Examine.
e) Mega food parks are based on the “hub and spoke” model. Can this model be replicated in other areas as well? Illustrate.
f) It is proved that efficient market system ultimately benefits the farmers. In your opinion what measures should be taken to improve the agricultural marketing system in the country?
g) New trends in cyber attacks are emerging which threaten to provoke unprecedented crises to a country’s economy, safety, health, sanitation and civil peace. Comment.
4) Comment on each of the following in about 50 words each: 4X5=20
a) SE4ALL program
b) “Don Quichote” project
c) Sustainable Design
d) The Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA)
e) Dark Fermentation
5) Comment on each of the following in about 20 words each: 1X10=10
a) Air-Independent Propulsion (AIP) system
b) C & Ku Band
c) MERS infection
d) inSight Mission
e) Open Source Drug Discovery Programme
f) Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS)
j) Swordfish RADAR
Note: Comment Box Opens at 12 pm